The Board of Education of the Muscatine Community School District met in regular session on Monday, June 10, 2019, at 7 p.m. at City Hall. Vice President Mary Wildermuth called the meeting to order. Directors John Dabeet, Aaron Finn, Nathan Mather, Toby McCarter, and Randy Naber were present. President Tammi Drawbaugh was absent. Also present were Superintendent Jerry Riibe and Director of Finance Tom Anderson.
- The Board recited the Pledge of Allegiance.
- Visitors and media representatives were welcomed.
- Citizens Speak:
- Jacqueline McCoy, 2114 Schley, spoke to the naming of the combined Central/West Middle School and advocated for naming the school after Susan Clark.
- Jay Brady, 417 Kindler Avenue, spoke to the naming of the combined Central/West Middle School and also advocated for the school building to be named after Susan Clark.
- Dan Clark, 1221 Mulberry Avenue, referred to the handout given to board members regarding key points for advocating for Susan Clark Junior High School as the name of the combined Central/West Middle School building.
- Sue Thielmann, 1500 Oak Street, explained how naming the combined Central/West Middle School after Susan Clark would benefit the students of the school district by supporting diversity in the school system.
- Jean Clark, 1221 Mulberry Avenue, advocated for naming the combined Central/West Middle School after Susan Clark noting that there are few school buildings in Iowa and the nation named after females.
- There were no items discussed under the Board Targets/Goals agenda item.
- The consent agenda was approved as follows:
- The minutes of May 13, 2019, Regular Meeting.
- Employment Recommendations:
- New Hires - Certified Staff: Stephanie Cromer, English Language Arts, MHS; Emily Hill, Special Education Strat I, WMS; Sariah Lee, 2nd Grade, Grant; Bryce Lightner, Industrial Tech, MHS; Kathryn Matson, 2nd Grade, Franklin; Cassi Montandon, Ag, MHS; Anna Putman, Kindergarten, Franklin.
- Resignations - Certified Staff: Haley Denton, English/Language Arts, CMS; Rebecca Eggert, 3rd Grade, Franklin; Carol Hightower, Special Ed, Jefferson; Lisa McKee, 3rd Grade, Grant; Jamie Pugh, Instructional Coach, McKinley.
- New Hires - Schedule C: Luis Enrique Torres, Assistant Baseball, MHS; Mollie LaRue, Head Cheer, MHS; Hannah Whitworth, Assistant Cheer, MHS.
- Resignations - Schedule C: Alissa Castle, Assistant Volleyball, MHS; Chris Foxen, Assistant Boys Track, MHS; Mary Goedken, Assistant Boys Tennis, MHS; Jacob Huebener, MS Mock Trial, WMS; Austin Kinsey, Assistant Girls Soccer, MHS; Ron Kiser, Head Boys Tennis, MHS; Amy Lilienthal, MS Team Leader - Math, CMS; Jordan Meyer, Assistant Girls Soccer, MHS; Thomas Randleman, Head Girls Golf, MHS; Randy Rosa, Assistant Baseball, MHS; Dakotah Sommer, Volleyball, CMS; Megan Stutzel, Volleyball, WMS; Tristan Tolle, MS Stage and Drama, CMS.
- Resignations - Administrators: Shauna Koppenhaver, Assistant Principal, MHS.
- New Hires - Classified Professionals: James Ludman, Assistant Supervisor, Facilities and Maintenance.
- Bills and Claims Against the District dated June 10, 2019.
- The Special Education Contracts with Clinton Community School District (student i.d. *2919), Piney Ridge Behavioral (student i.d. *1072), Des Moines Public Schools (student i.d. *2386, *4687), Columbus Community School District (student i.d. *5360), Grant Wood AEA (student i.d. *7105), College Community School District (student i.d. *0992).
- Agreement between Eastern Iowa Community College District/Muscatine Community College and Muscatine Community School District for video production and cablecast services for July 1, 2019, through June 30, 2022.
- Approved the contract with Curriculum Management Solutions for a curriculum audit in the amount of $40,900 with a post-audit visit option of $3,000.
- Approved waiving a portion of the instructional material fee from $85 (9-12) and $55 (K-8) to $40 for students in grades K-12 for the 2019-20 school year.
- Approved a 3-year lease with American Capital for student/classroom technology hardware not to exceed the annual budgeted amount of $500,000.
- Approved the acceptance of the bid from Midland Paper in the amount of $33,187.23.
- Approved the acceptance of the bid from Rapids Foodservice Contract and Design of Cedar Rapids for the purchase of equipment, supplies, and services in the amount of $263,983.60.
- Krista Regennitter, Director of the Muscatine County ISU Extension and Outreach presented an update on the Juntos Program.
- A second reading on policy 201.4 Elections to the Board was held.
- The financials for the months of March and April 2019 were reviewed.
- The following upcoming meetings and events were shared:
- Summer Hours for district buildings (including the Administration Center): 8 a.m. - 4 p.m., Monday through Thursday. Closed on Fridays.
- July 8, 2019: School Board Meeting, 7 p.m.; City Hall
- The meeting adjourned at 8:23 p.m.
Meeting Agenda with Supporting Documents
Watch the meeting on the district's YouTube Channel (link coming soon)