- The board recited the Pledge of Allegiance.
- Media representatives and visitors were welcomed.
- The following people presented information on the proposed Early Learning Center: Preschool teacher Noelia Espinal, Begindergarten teacher Lindsey Brewer, Instructional Coach and past preschool teacher Kathi Eichelberger, District Instructional Coach Staci Orr, AEA Preschool Consultant Becky Zeck, Director of Teaching and Learning Becky Wichers, and Early Childhood Coordinator/McKinley Principal Joelle McConnaha.
- Feedback from the Early Childhood Task Force was shared.
- Robin Randall and Jeff Sandberg of Legat Architects presented information on the proposed projects including the Early Learning Center, McKinley Addition, and the MHS STEM/Science Project.
- Director of Finance Tom Anderson provided a spreadsheet of financial information taking into account these scenarios: 1) declining enrollment of 25 students per year, 2) 1% State Supplement Aid per year, and 3) the district does nothing (no Early Learning Center, keeping 6th grade at CMS) paying particular attention to UAB (Unspent Authorized Budget) and solvency ratio.
- Director of Finance Tom Anderson provided the projected cash flow spreadsheet for the PPEL/Sales Tax Fund showing the district's ability to cash flow the proposed projects.
- The consensus of the board was to bring the proposed projects as discussed to vote at its next meeting, November 12, 2018.
- The following upcoming meetings and events were announced:
- October 22-25, 2018 Parent-Teacher Conference Week
- October 25, 2018 2-Hour Early Dismissal
- October 26, 2018 No School - Conference Comp Day
- October 29, 2018 No School - Teacher Inservice
- November 12, 2018 Regular Session; 7 p.m.; City Hall
- The meeting adjourned at 8:09 p.m.
Tuesday, October 23, 2018
The Muscatine School's Board of Education met in work session on Monday, October 22, 2018 at 6 p.m. at the MCSD Administration Center. Those present were: John Dabeet, Tammi Drawbaugh, Nathan Mather, Randy Naber, and Mary Wildermuth. Those absent were: Aaron Finn and Toby McCarter. Also present were Superintendent Jerry Riibe, Assistant Superintendent Mike McGrory, and Director of Finance Tom Anderson.
Tuesday, October 9, 2018
The Board of Education of the Muscatine Community School District met in regular session on Monday, October 8, 2018 at 7 p.m. at City Hall. President Tammi Drawbaugh called the meeting to order. Directors John Dabeet, Aaron Finn, Nathan Mather, Toby McCarter, Randy Naber, and Mary Wildermuth were present. Also present were Superintendent Jerry Riibe, Assistant Superintendent Mike McGrory, and Director of Finance Tom Anderson.
- The board recited the Pledge of Allegiance.
- Visitors were welcomed.
- No one spoke during Citizens Speak.
- Student Council gave an update.
- October's Outstanding MCSD Employees were recognized. They are: Tanise Colvin, Austin Kinsey, Debbie Stoube, Mackenzie Strouf, and Jacque Young.
- The consent agenda was approved:
- Minutes of the September 10, 2018 Regular and Organizational Meeting.
- Employment Recommendations:
- New Hires: Certified Staff: Brandi Storjohann, Title I, Jefferson.
- New Hires - Schedule C: Karri Seaman - MHS Volleyball Assistant; Steven Hopkins - MHS Head Softball; Kala Kwirant - MS Curriculum Leader Social Studies; Jacob Huebener - Mock Trial MHS (per sidebar agreement with MEA); Mike Fladlien - Mock Trial MHS (per sidebar agreement with MEA).
- Resignations - Schedule C: Mike Fladlien - Mock Trial MHS (resigned to split points with Jacob Huebener).
- Bills and Claims.
- District Committees: Audit Committee, Teacher Quality Committee, and School Improvement Advisory Committee.
- Student Teaching Agreement with Wm. Penn University.
- IASB Legislative Priorities.
- Early Retirement Incentive for FY 19.
- Approve administration authority to seek modified supplemental amounts from SBRC of $630,286 for 2017-18 LEP actual costs.
- Board Goals/Targets Report:
- Muscatine Schools Foundation 501c3 status was discussed.
- District Projects were discussed.
- June 30, 2018 CAR and Financials were reviewed.
- The following upcoming meetings/events were announced:
- October 9, 2018, Progress Report Breakfast, 7:30 a.m., MCSD Admin Center
- October 13, 2018, Dedication of Chuck Van Hecke Center, 2-4pm, MHS
- October 22, 2018, Board Planning Meeting; 6 p.m.; MCSD Admin Center
- October 22-25, 2018, Parent-Teacher Conference Week
- October 25, 2018, 2-hour Early Dismissal
- October 26, 2018, No School - Conference Comp Day
- October 29, 2018, No School - Teacher Inservice
To see supporting documents and the agenda for this meeting: October 8, 2018 Board Agenda
To watch the meeting: MCSD YouTube Channel