Friday, March 31, 2017
Tuesday, March 28, 2017
The Muscatine Community School's Board of Education met in work session on Monday, March 27, 2017 at 6 p.m. at the Administration Center. Those board members present: Bower, Dabeet, Drawbaugh, Finn, Mather, and Naber. Director Wildermuth was absent. Also present: Superintendent Riibe and Director of Finance Tom Anderson.
- The board recited the Pledge of Allegiance.
- President Drawbaugh welcomed visitors and media representatives.
- A public hearing was held for the purpose of certifying the 2017-18 school budget.
- There were no written or oral comments.
- A public hearing was held on the proposed plans, specifications, proposed form of contract, and the estimated cost of said improvements of the MHS Gymnasium Entrance.
- There were no oral or written comments.
- Superintendent Riibe noted that the bids came in higher than expected (approximately $1.4 million over budget). He also noted that the district is looking at ways to bring this closer to the budgeted amount.
- Two architectural firms were chosen to present information on their firm for the opportunity to serve the district for the MHS Phase III Project (science and industrial tech renovations). (Board action will be taken at the April 10, 2017 meeting.)
- Tom Wallon, Vassil Petrov, and Brandon Pierson of FRK Architects and Engineers gave a presentation on their architectural firm.
- Andrew Van Leeuwen, Mary Wurst, and Ken Hagen of DLR Group gave a presentation on their architectural firm.
- The board approved the certification of the 2017-18 budget, approving a levy rate of $14.85644 and certified budget amount of $88,324,501 for fiscal year 2017-18.
- Director of Teaching and Learning Becky Wichers updated the board on the proposed special education delivery service changes at the elementary level for next school year.
- Superintendent Riibe provided information and a suggested timeline for his upcoming evaluation.
- The next meeting is scheduled for Monday, April 10, 2017 at 7 p.m. at City Hall.
- The meeting adjourned at 7:38 p.m.
Friday, March 24, 2017
Select the image below to see what our students and staff have been doing This Week in Our Schools!
Featured this week:
Thursday, March 9, 2017
Select the picture below to be taken to this week's edition of This Week in Our Schools! Check out what our students and staff have been up to!
(Next week: there will be no edition of This Week in Our Schools due to Spring Break.)
Featured this week:
Tuesday, March 7, 2017
The Muscatine School's Board of Education met on Monday, March 6, 2017 at 7 p.m. at City Hall. Board members present: Bower, Dabeet, Drawbaugh, Finn, Mather, Naber, and Wildermuth. Finn and Bower were present via conference call due to being out-of-town. Also present: Superintendent Riibe, Assistant Superintendent Mike McGrory, and Director of Finance Tom Anderson.
- The board recited the Pledge of Allegiance.
- MHS Student Council Representatives Cassie Hendrix and Kate Gabriel provided the student council update.
- The March Employees of the Month were recognized. They are: Liz Panther - Instructional Coach at CMS, Michelle Dusenberry - 1st Grade Teacher at Grant; Stephanie Zillig - Instructional Coach at Jefferson; Emily Goddard - English/Language Arts at WMS; and Daphne Donald - Administrative Assistant-Special Programs at the Admin Center. Go to: Employee Recognition Form to nominate an outstanding employee.
- The following spoke at Citizens Speak:
- Daphne Donald, Muscatine, invited everyone to sign up for the 5th Annual Race for the Schools to be held on May 6, 2017 starting at 8 a.m. at the high school. This year the district will be offering a 50% discount to students in order to encourage more students to participate.
- Jackie Petty, West Liberty, spoke about her daughter's positive experience at East Campus and that she feels moving East Campus back to MHS is a mistake.
- Kyle Krogman, Muscatine, spoke about her daughter's positive experience at East Campus and that she feels moving East Campus back to MHS is a mistake.
- Tommye Petty, Muscatine, a graduate of East Campus, spoke in favor of keeping East Campus as its own building.
- The board approved the consent agenda which included:
- the Minutes of February 13, 2017 regular meeting and the February 27, 2017 work session.
- Employment Recommendations:
- New Hires - Certified Staff: Alexandra Walgren - MHS ELA effective 2017-18 school year.
- Resignations - Certified Staff: Margaret Stadtwald - CMS 6th Grade ELA/Social Studies effective end of 2016-17; Adam Crews - MHS Ag (shared position with L&M) effective end of 2016-17.
- Resignations - Schedule C: Lindsay Moeller - 7th Gr. Volleyball Head Coach; Shannon Walker - Student Council (effective 2/16/17); Debbi Sulzberger - MHS Color Guard; Dennis Schuur - MS Girls and Boys Basketball.
- Resignations - Administration: Mark Olmstead - WMS Assistant Principal.
- Field Trips:
- MHS Students to Honduras Research Expedition in June 13-27, 2017.
- AP Language/Literature Honors English Students to Dublin, London, and Paris in July 2017.
- Bills and Claims dated March 6, 2017.
- The 2017-18 School Fees were approved.
- Approved the Middle School Furniture Project.
- Assistant Superintendent Mike McGrory and District Data Specialist Elena Bobay presented information on the Pre-Advanced Placement proposal.
- Grant Elementary teachers Gina Schliesman, Leslie Bennett, and Nancy Foxen presented a proposal to make Grant a Leader in Me magnet school beginning 2017-18.
- There will be a Public Hearing on the Proposed Plans, Specifications, Proposed Form of Contract, and the Estimated Cost of Said Improvements of the MHS Gymnasium Entrance on Monday, March 27, 2017 at 6 p.m. at the Administration Center Auditorium.
- There will be a Public Hearing for the Purpose of Certifying the 2017-18 Budget on Monday, March 27, 2017 at 6 p.m. at the Administration Center Auditorium.
- Director of Finance Tom Anderson presented information on the proposed budget for next school year.
- The following meetings and events were announced:
- March 6-9, 2017: Parent-Teacher Conferences
- March 9, 2017: 2-Hour Early Dismissal
- March10, 2017: No School - Conference Comp Day
- March 13-17, 2017: Spring Break - No School
- March 27, 2017: Board Work Session; 6 p.m., Admin Center Auditorium
- April 4, 2017: Poverty to Possibility Community Presentation; 6 p.m., MCC Bob Roach Theater
- The board went into closed session at 9:20 p.m. per Iowa Code Chapter 21.5(i).
- The board returned to open session at 9:32 p.m.
- Approved the termination of middle school activities/athletic director position due to reduction in force based on budget deficit.
- The board adjourned at 9:33 p.m.