The Board of Education of the Muscatine Community School District met in regular session on Monday, October 8, 2018, at 7 p.m. at City Hall. President Tammi Drawbaugh called the meeting to order. Directors John Dabeet, Aaron Finn, Nathan Mather, Toby McCarter, Randy Naber, and Mary Wildermuth were present. Also present were Superintendent Jerry Riibe, Assistant Superintendent Mike McGrory, and Director of Finance Tom Anderson.
- The board recited the Pledge of Allegiance.
- Visitors and media representatives were welcomed.
- No one spoke during Citizens Speak.
- Council Representatives Tess Rauenbuehler and Ellie Howard provided a student council update.
- November's Outstanding Employees were recognized. They are Rochelle Bonebrake, Ellen Carey, Aaron Smith, Jonathan Thoma, and Katie Yetter. To recognize an employee who goes above and beyond on a continual basis, go to the Employee Recognition Form.
- Board Goals/Targets:
- Jeff Heid and Jonathan Thoma provided an update on the recent instrumental music purchase project that was approved by the Board in May 2017.
- The consent agenda was approved as follows:
- The minutes of October 8, 2018, Regular Meeting and October 22, 2018, Work Session.
- Employment Recommendations:
- Resignations: Lisa Turbett, CMS Math, effective 12/21/2018.
- New Hires - Schedule C: Kevin Lloyd - MHS Boys Golf Assistant; Scott Mauck - MHS Football Assistant; Barton Howard - MHS Girls Assistant Cross Country; Jacob Huebener - WMS Mock Trial; Ann Edkin - CMS Girls Basketball.
- Resignations - Schedule C: Ellen Carey - MHS Softball.
- Bills and Claims Against the District dated November 12, 2018.
- Approved the following: 2019-20 School Year: The sixth grade will be a part of the elementary school program; Colorado Elementary will no longer be a K-5 school, but will become the district’s preschool center; Central Middle School and West Middle School will operate with grades 7 and 8 only; Colorado Elementary will become part of the Madison Elementary attendance area. (If Madison would not be the best choice for a family, Colorado parents will be given first priority for any open grade levels in the other elementary buildings for in-district transfers.) 2020-21 School Year: Central Middle School will close and all 7th and 8th grades will be located at West Middle School.
- September 2018 financials were reviewed.
- The following meetings and events were announced:
- November 12-16, 2018: National Education Week
- November 14-15, 2018: IASB Annual Convention; Des Moines
- November 21, 2018: 2-Hour Early Dismissal
- November 22-23, 2018: Thanksgiving Holiday
- December 10, 2018: Regular Meeting; 7 p.m.; City Hall
- The meeting adjourned at 7:52 p.m.
To see the board agenda and its supporting documents: November 12, 2018 Agenda
To watch this meeting via the district's YouTube Channel: MCSD YouTube Channel