- The board recited the Pledge of Allegiance.
- President Drawbaugh welcomed visitors and media representatives.
- A public hearing was held for the purpose of certifying the 2017-18 school budget.
- There were no written or oral comments.
- A public hearing was held on the proposed plans, specifications, proposed form of contract, and the estimated cost of said improvements of the MHS Gymnasium Entrance.
- There were no oral or written comments.
- Superintendent Riibe noted that the bids came in higher than expected (approximately $1.4 million over budget). He also noted that the district is looking at ways to bring this closer to the budgeted amount.
- Two architectural firms were chosen to present information on their firm for the opportunity to serve the district for the MHS Phase III Project (science and industrial tech renovations). (Board action will be taken at the April 10, 2017 meeting.)
- Tom Wallon, Vassil Petrov, and Brandon Pierson of FRK Architects and Engineers gave a presentation on their architectural firm.
- Andrew Van Leeuwen, Mary Wurst, and Ken Hagen of DLR Group gave a presentation on their architectural firm.
- The board approved the certification of the 2017-18 budget, approving a levy rate of $14.85644 and certified budget amount of $88,324,501 for fiscal year 2017-18.
- Director of Teaching and Learning Becky Wichers updated the board on the proposed special education delivery service changes at the elementary level for next school year.
- Superintendent Riibe provided information and a suggested timeline for his upcoming evaluation.
- The next meeting is scheduled for Monday, April 10, 2017 at 7 p.m. at City Hall.
- The meeting adjourned at 7:38 p.m.
Tuesday, March 28, 2017
Board Briefs for Monday, March 27, 2017 Board Work Session
The Muscatine Community School's Board of Education met in work session on Monday, March 27, 2017 at 6 p.m. at the Administration Center. Those board members present: Bower, Dabeet, Drawbaugh, Finn, Mather, and Naber. Director Wildermuth was absent. Also present: Superintendent Riibe and Director of Finance Tom Anderson.