The board met in work session on Monday, February 27, 2017 at 6 p.m. at Muscatine High School in the Student Commons. Board members present: Bower, Drawbaugh (left at 7:15 p.m. to attend a vocal music concert), Dabeet, Finn, Mather, Naber, Wildermuth. Also present: Superintendent Jerry Riibe, members of the District Advisory Committee, members of the School Improvement Advisory Committee, building principals, and facilitators Chuck Manges and Dave Markward.
The purpose of the meeting was to provide guidance and feedback as the district works towards developing its board goals, mission, core values, and vision. People were divided into five groups and rotated through five different categories: mission/vision, core values, academic, social/emotional, and fiscal/facilities.
Vision - Presenter: Chuck Manges
Group members were assessed the task of looking at the district's current vision statement and then offering their suggestions on how to make this more succinct (ideally the vision should be 10-15 words in length) and embody the district's vision for educating Muscatine's children.
Core Values - Presenter: Dave Markward
Group members reviewed samples of core values (core values = how we go about doing our work) and then chose/developed four - five they felt represent MCSD.
Academics - Presenters: Elena Bobay and Shauna Dennison
Mrs. Bobay and Ms. Dennison presented information on proposed goals from the district needs assessment, as well as reviewed data on attendance, FAST data, and ACT data and discussed other focus areas including post-secondary attendance and diploma+.
Social and Emotional - Presenters: Joelle McConnaha and Terry Hogenson
Ms. McConnaha and Mr. Hogenson reviewed information from the district's needs assessment, the proposed goal from this information, and the PK-12th grade recommendations. Group members were asked to provide feedback.
Fiscal/Facilities- Presenters: Chris Nienhaus and Jeff Miller
Mr. Nienhaus and Mr. Miller reviewed the Master Facility Plan for the next five years, funding allocation, and the challenges ahead for some of the district's current school buildings. Group members were asked to provide feedback and/or offer suggestions and ideas regarding facilities.
The facilitators and administration will gather the information and feedback obtained from each of these groups. This information will guide the district and board in developing MCSD's board goals, mission/vision, and core values.
The meeting adjourned at 8:17 p.m.
Tuesday, February 28, 2017
Friday, February 24, 2017
Friday, February 17, 2017
Select the picture below to view this week's edition of This Week in Our Schools!
Featured this week:
Tuesday, February 14, 2017
The Board met on Monday, February 13, 2017 at 7 p.m. at City Hall. Those members present: Bower, Dabeet, Drawbaugh, Finn, Mather, and Wildermuth. Absent: Naber. Also present: Superintendent Riibe and Director of Finance Tom Anderson.
- The Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
- President Drawbaugh welcomed visitors and media representatives.
- MHS Student Council provided an update to the Board.
- The February Employees of the Month were recognized. They are: Mary Spratt - McKinley Kindergarten Teacher; Erin Thomas - MHS Special Education Teacher; Shauna Dennison - Assistant Principal at CMS; Nicky Sand - Elementary Music Teacher at Grant/Mulberry; and Angie Curtis - WMS Gifted and Talented Teacher. Go to: Employee Recognition Form to nominate an outstanding employee.
- No one spoke during Citizens Speak.
- The Consent Agenda was approved which included:
- The minutes of January 9, 2017 Regular Meeting and the January 23, 2017 Work Session.
- Employment Recommendations:
- Resignations-Certified Staff: Suzanne Christenson - CMS 7th Grade ELA/Honors ELA (effective at end of 2016/17 school year); Heather France - MHS Language Arts Teacher (effective 2/13/17); Marinda Gacke - CMS Science (effective at end of 2016/17 school year); Sarah Ohl - Jefferson 4th Grade (effective at end of 2016/17 school year); Austin Siefers - WMS Vocal Music Teacher (effective 1/25/17).
- New Hires - Schedule C: Robe Awbrey - MHS Wrestling Assistant; Mike Fladlien - MHS Mock Trial; Al McDonald - MHS Boys Basketball; Mary Goedken - MHS Boys Tennis; Chris Hoffman - MHS Robotics; Clay Dillon - MHS Assistant Softball.
- Resignations - Schedule C: Wade McLeod - MHS Assistant Wrestling (1/2 contract); Ryan Kitzmann - MHS Robotics; Greg Browne - CMS Track; Jim Lankey - MHS Girls Tennis.
- New Hires - Classified Professional: Patricia Fritz - Elementary Attendance Coordinator - Admin Center.
- Resignations - Administration: Jaimie Caffery - Grant Principal (effective at end of 2016/17 school year).
- Bills and Claims against the district dated January 13, 2017.
- The 2017-18 and 2018-19 school calendars were approved.
- Auditors from Bohnsack and Frommelt LLP presented an overview of the FY16 audit.
- The board approved to accept and place on file the audit of FY2016.
- The board approved the budget guarantee resolution.
- The board approved the MHS Project Phase II design, construction documents, and release to contractors for bid solicitation.
- The board heard several presentations regarding the District Needs Assessment/Long-term goal planning/Systems Thinking.
- Liz Hollingsworth, Director of the University of Iowa's Center for Evaluation and Assessment presented her findings from the District Needs Assessment that was conducted this fall.
- Chuck Manges and Dave Markward, consultants to the district, presented information on the district's long-term goal planning.
- Superintendent Riibe provided information on a possible Systems Thinking model for the district's at-risk student population.
- Director of Finance Tom Anderson presented the financials for the month of January, 2017.
- The following announcements/future meetings were shared:
- February 16, 2017 - IASB State Penny Discussion @ Mt. Pleasant
- February 20, 2017 - No School - President's Day
- February 27, 2017 - Board Work Session; 6 p.m.; Administration Center
- The meeting adjourned at 8:50 p.m.